[Gambas-user] [Gambas Bug Tracker] Bug #956: openSuse gambas bug: gbx3: unable to find startup file

bugtracker at ...3416... bugtracker at ...3416...
Sun Jun 26 06:21:04 CEST 2016

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.956&from=L21haW4-

Tony MOREHEN reported a new bug.

Summary
-------

openSuse gambas bug:  gbx3: unable to find startup file

Type             : Bug
Priority         : Medium
Gambas version   : Unknown
Product          : Unknown

Description
-----------

The following bug has been opened in openSuse.  This is an openSuse bug, not a Gambas bug.  However, doing a Gambas reinstall from source (3.9.0) does not fix the problem.  Gambas has 3 symlinks in /usr/bin.  make install does not delete those links before trying to create new ones.  Therefore, the old links, including the one in error remain.  Recommend deleting the old links during make install to clean up any old errors.

Suse BUG report:

Gambas doesn't start anymore after upgrade

opensuse 13.1 / 64 bit / KDE 4.11.5/gambas 3.5.4-3.1
Repository: OpenSUSE / Education.

/usr/bin/gambas3
gbx3: unable to find startup file

This bug is still in effect in Tumbleweed and gambas 3.8.4.  I did a zypper up and it broke my gambas installation.  Trying to run gambas by typing gambas3 in a terminal window generates the same error message:  gbx3: unable to find startup file.

The problem:  In the openSuse installation, gambas3 is a symlink to gbx3.  When installing from source, gambas3 is a symlink to gambas3.gambas.  Again in openSuse, executing gambas3.gambas opens the gambas development environment.

There may also be menu issues. I have 2 gambas desktop files in my /usr/share/applications folder.  The exec line in gambas3.desktop links to gambas3.gambas and works fine.  The other, gambas.desktop, links to gambas3 and is broken.  I don't know which is openSuse's.  Even ignoring the bug, gambas3.desktop is the better file.

Solution: correct the gambas3 symlink to gambas3.gambas.