[Gambas-user] Support for new Packaging systems (Snappy and Flatpak)

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Jun 18 17:32:56 CEST 2016

Le 18/06/2016 01:10, Dimitris Anogiatis a écrit :
> Hey guys,
>
> This is by no means urgent, I'm just asking mainly out of curiosity.
>
> There's been a lot of talk lately about new packaging systems mainly Snappy
> (from Canonical - http://snapcraft.io/) and Flatpak (from Red-Hat/Fedora
> but I also think they GNOME Foundation is behind them too -
> http://flatpak.org/).
>
> New features like application isolation and transactional updates, packaged
> dependencies etc etc.
>
> Is there any thought that Gambas will use those packaging systems in future
> versions?
>
> Is there any practical reason for getting Gambas and/or Gambas created
> software to be packaged
> with the new systems, or are we sticking with the already available
> solutions?
>
> Chime in everyone
>
> Thanks
> Dimitris

AFAIK, these beasts are isolated applications that can share part of
their libraries as soon as someone make a "bundle" for them.

In other words, app A and app B are provided with all their dependencies
like on Windows, except that:
- They are isolated in containers.
- If, for example, both A and B use GTK+, they can share the GTK+
libraries through a GTK bundle.

So it is a matter of finding someone who can make a Gambas snap/flatpak:

- based on nothing, with every libraries in the package.

- using both GTK+ and QT bundles, so that it shares them with the other
package.

- using only GTK+ or QT. So you have to make two Gambas snap/flatpak.

- For other libraries, I don't think it's worth sharing them. Except if
you have already a bundle for them. For example SDL, or GStreamer, and
so on. It must be evaluated case by case.

Any volunteer?

--
Benoît Minisini