[Gambas-user] qt5

Ian Haywood ihaywood3 at ...626...
Tue Jun 14 13:21:53 CEST 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Benoît Minisini
<gambas at ...1...> wrote:
> Le 01/05/2016 16:01, Charlie a écrit :
>> Thanks for the reply Benoît. Ubuntu 16.04 has Gambas 3.8.4 which I also use
>> on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon.
>> Here is the Gambas Farm error I get.
>> gambas1.png <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n56111/gambas1.png>
>> Here are the 'System information' details for both operating systems.
>> mint17.txt <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n56111/mint17.txt>
>> ubuntu16.txt <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n56111/ubuntu16.txt>
>> Note that for future editions the English is 'System information' not
>> 'System information*s*'.
>>

> So I guess that (again) Debian/Ubuntu Gambas packages were made
> incorrectly...
I confess I've given up trying to find a 'correct' solution that
covers all cases.

The problem quite complicated. Gambas looks for Qt4 and Qt5. If both are found,
Qt4 is loaded.
However, Debian does not have WebKit for Qt4 (it was taken out because
they couldn't keep it secure, and wanted to concentrate on Qt5-WebKit,
I believe)
Consequently, the IDE and many other problems will crash (because they
load Qt4 but then can't find WebKit).

So, I tried making it a Conflicts: if you try to install the IDE, it
tries to remove Qt4. which causes more problems as noted above.

The other option is to patch Gambas on Debian so it preferentially
loads Qt5 (a bit of work). That will get the IDE working, but many
other programs won't run
(because Qt5 doesn't quite have the stability of Qt4, at least last
time I checked)

Sadly, my recommendation to all (our) users has been stick to
Mint/Ubuntu and the PPAs for now.

Ian