[Gambas-user] Why Gambas is packaged in only one tarball without a configure script?

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado iam at ...3607...
Sat Jul 16 20:51:17 CEST 2016

On 15/07/16 20:55, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
>> Well, the package system works for GNOME or KDE which are quite more
>> complex and bigger than gambas, so this is not broken. Other BSDs use
>> similar systems.
>>

> I meant why multiple tar balls (versus one tar bar) creates *less*
> complexity?
> I don't think this is the case with other packagers.

Yes, other package tools are different. Look the Arch Linux package:
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gambas3

The list of files are generated during the build of the package. That's
why they have not problems splitting a package. IIRC, RPM and DEB have
the same behavior.

BSD ports frameworks use the PLIST to modify the package content and it
is generated prior to the installation of the package. For example,
OpenBSD modifies the version numbers of the libraries or FreeBSD remove
the documentation files when the user selects this in OPTIONS.

Multiple tarballs would allow to the packager to create one package per
component, so everything would be more simple.