[Gambas-user] [Gambas Bug Tracker] Bug #835: gambas3 doesn't build with llvm > 3.5

bugtracker at ...3416... bugtracker at ...3416...
Wed Nov 11 00:26:54 CET 2015

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.835&from=L21haW4-

Comment #9 by gbWilly GAMBOS:

I understand your problem but:
- Gambas 3.5.4 doesn't support LLVM 3.6 and neither does the latest stable version 3.8.3

If people on Debian still want to run Gambas, on a system that runs LLVM 3.6 or later, then gb.jit will need to be disabled to get Gambas installed.

So, for now, the options are:
1. No Gambas on Debian systems running LLVM 3.6
OR
2. Gambas with a disabled gb.jit on a Debian system running LLVM 3.6
OR
3. Keep LLVM 3.5 alive in the Debain repo's for a while and use that version
OR
4. Wait for a future Gambas version that might support LLVM 3.6

But since Debain repo's are always miles behind with latest Gambas stable version, it might take years for option 4 to hit a Debian stable version.

>From my perspective Gambas 3.8.2 should have been in sid or testing or even stable by now.
Packaging Gambas 3.8.3 should be the thing to work on instead of bothering about a old Gambas 3.5.4 version.

Is it not possible to have a later Gambas version in stable?
If so, what are the obstacles? What does it take to get past those obstacles?
Can the Gambas community do something to get that job done?