[Gambas-user] Revision #4160 feature doesn't work anymore.

Ru Vuott vuott at ...325...
Tue Mar 17 18:02:38 CET 2015

Hello Benoît,

as you may recall, revision #4160 implemented the feature to "watch" the file-descriptor passed by the ALSA function "snd_seq_event_input (seq, & event)", which allows to read a file-descriptor when it is "ready".

Well, I must say that this feature **always worked very well**.
Lately, instead, I have found that it no longer works. But - dear me ! - I do not know exactly when it no longer works, because they were many months that I did not use any program, written by me ("Demo Drum-Machine" and "Sequencer Midi"), having this feature.

The engine of the demo project of Drum-Machine, as also my Midi Sequencer, consists of a cycle that - receiving from that function Alsa a precise date - allows to send Midi data packets in sequence until the end of the file Midi.
I noticed that - "now" - if it was a planned cycle, the two programs crash right at the predicted ALSA function "snd_seq_event_input (seq, & event)".
(You can see this function at:  Public Sub File_Read() procedure of CAlsa.class in the Drum-Machine project.)
But, if the program sends data simply by a Midi keyboard, everything works well enough (...I say enough, because sometimes some data is not played. Before, when "everything" worked well, even this small problem existed using the keyboard).

Well, I send you, attachments, two projects of the Drum Machine:

- The first, that does NOT work (that is with current problem).

- The second works..... but it is the first project I "edited" to make it works. I had to write a FOR loop in the procedure "Public Sub btGrid_Click ()",  when the program part for the first time, are now forced to send two times the dummy initial echo.

Regards
vuott