[Gambas-user] Gambas migration to github (or something else?)

Tue Jun 9 15:54:57 CEST 2015

Am 09.06.2015 13:13, schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> Le 09/06/2015 08:25, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
>> Am 09.06.2015 07:24, schrieb Adrien Prokopowicz:

>>> Oh right, I forgot about that ...
>>>
>>> I made some research around gna!, and I have a few questions :
>>>
>>> - gna! seems to have originated from GNU Savannah, but I couldn't
>>>       find the exact reasons of this separation, and both look pretty
>>>       similar to me. So why not going to Savannah (which seems bigger
>>>       and directly supported by the FSF and GNU) ?
>>>
>>> - Also, thinking about gna!/savannah reminded me of this old
>>>       proposition[0] to become a GNU project.
>>>       I don't remember you actually accepting or rejecting it, nor
>>>       being rejected by the GNU project, so what happened ?
>>>       Maybe they could help with this hosting problem ...
>>>
>>> [0] https://sourceforge.net/p/gambas/mailman/message/32334826/
>> As far as I remember, GNU's restrictions for the source code and rules
>> for comments within the sources were too strict or badly adaptable to
>> the Gambas way of doing. In the end, the idea seemed to fail at this
>> point, as nobody was able or willing to rewrite the code to fulfill the
>> requirements.
>>
>> But I haven't read the archives yet, so it's purely taken from my memory
>> which has a high error rate ;)
>>
>> Regards
>> Rolf
>>
> No, it's "just" a matter of having the time of filling that:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html
>
> I didn't have the time since last year to deal with that...
>
> As for gna!, according to Wikipedia, it is a fork of Savannah made by
> the creators of Savannah that wanted to keep their way of managing it by
> collaboration.
>
> Regards,

Ah ok, I see. I read the GNU page, and the only thing that comes to my
mind is about qt and maybe other parts which are not completely GNU
compliant (GTK+ is, right?). Would that be a problem?

On the one hand, being part of GNU seems to be a means of becoming more
popular. On the other hand, GNU is a world of its own, so it might mean
to be part of a special biotope, bound in a microcosmos, and hopefully
not a parallel universe ;) But my knowledge about these things is far
from being concise, so just take me too seriously here. I would just be
sad if one day I had to read "we cannot do this or that thing because
we're part of GNU and it's policy here...".

Rolf