[Gambas-user] New system tray icon protocol support, new episode.

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Jul 1 09:57:41 CEST 2015

Le 01/07/2015 09:20, Fabien Bodard a écrit :
> Le 1 juil. 2015 07:36, "Sebastian Kulesz" <sebikul at ...626...> a écrit :
>>
>> Hey there!
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Benoît Minisini <
>> gambas at ...1...> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In revision #7154, I have replaced the gb.form.statusicon component by a
>>> component named gb.dbus.trayicon.
>>>
>>> This new component is now automatically loaded by the GUI components
>>> when the current desktop is KDE 4 or KDE 5. Otherwise, the old protocol
>>> is used.
>>>

>> Given that i could theoretically run a daemon with not GUI, but a tray
> icon
>> available, would it be okay to include this component with the gb.dbus
>> component, or should I package it separately? Note that this would add
>> gb.image as a dependency to gb.dbus.
>
> I think it will be better to have a gb.dbus.desktop component that can
> group classes like tray icon, notification, appmenu... Etc
>
> Or gb.desktop.dbus
>
> But gb.dbus.tray icon is too restrictive and I think we have to be carefull
> in the multiplication of the components.
>
> After... It's an hidden component it's an extention of gb.gui

Nope. 'gb.dbus.trayicon' is a component that depends on 'gb.dbus' and
'gb.image', that's all. The fact that it is hidden and automatically
loaded should change nothing with that.

At the moment, the GUI components can't deal with a non-installed
'gb.dbus.trayicon' component, but it's their problem. I think if loading
'gb.dbus' or 'gb.dbus.trayicon' fail, I will just use the old trayicon
protocol.

Moreover, all that may change before the release of Gambas 3.8, if I can
find a way of putting all the trayicon stuff outside of the GUI
components without breaking backward-compatibility.

Benoît Minisini