[Gambas-user] Question on gb.gui.qt switcher component and packager

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Dec 15 00:54:17 CET 2015

Le 14/12/2015 22:52, willy at ...3474... a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As I have been developing my Gambas3 applications mainly (all except 1)
> with gb.qt4 component.
> Now, I am facing a problem with the qt5 being rolled out several recent
> distro's, when at the same time the older LTS (so, still supported
> distros) are still on qt4.
>
> So, packaging my application with qt4 will not install them on distros
> with qt5, I presume.
>
> Now I noticed that the gb.gui.qt switcher component can help out there.
> As, I run an older distro that uses qt4, I suppose when using
> qt-switcher component instead of qt4, the application, when packaged
> will install on both qt4 and qt5 systems.
>
> Am I corrert assuming above?
>
> When making a package (debian/ubuntu) of an application with gb.gui.qt
> switcher component (see screen01) I see that I have 1 .deb package. I
> like that a lot.
>
> But when looking in the control file of the .deb I do not see any
> dependency on qt? (see screen02)
>
> So, how will the distro upon installing know that it needs to use one of
> the available qt version, instead of gtk or gtk3?
>
> Shouldn't there be something in the control file like:
>
> gambas3-gb-qt4 (>=3.8) | gambas3-gb-qt5 (>=3.8))
>
> in the sence that one qt excludes the other qt version, but qt will be
> used for sure and not gtk/gtk3?
>
> Thanks,
>
> gbWilly

It's a feature I forgot to implement when using "gb.gui.qt", but that
exists when using "gb.gui".

Check "gb.gui" instead of "gb.gui.qt", and the packager will create for you:
- One package for your application.
- One dummy package for each GUI component.

That way, the user can install your application, and then the dummy
package for the GUI he wants to use.

Benoît Minisini