[Gambas-user] Question on gb.gui.qt switcher component and packager

willy at ...3474... willy at ...3474...
Mon Dec 14 22:52:50 CET 2015

Hi,

As I have been developing my Gambas3 applications mainly (all except 1)
with gb.qt4 component.
Now, I am facing a problem with the qt5 being rolled out several recent
distro's, when at the same time the older LTS (so, still supported
distros) are still on qt4.

So, packaging my application with qt4 will not install them on distros
with qt5, I presume.

Now I noticed that the gb.gui.qt switcher component can help out there.
As, I run an older distro that uses qt4, I suppose when using
qt-switcher component instead of qt4, the application, when packaged
will install on both qt4 and qt5 systems.

Am I corrert assuming above?

When making a package (debian/ubuntu) of an application with gb.gui.qt
switcher component (see screen01) I see that I have 1 .deb package. I
like that a lot.

But when looking in the control file of the .deb I do not see any
dependency on qt? (see screen02)

So, how will the distro upon installing know that it needs to use one of
the available qt version, instead of gtk or gtk3?

Shouldn't there be something in the control file like:

gambas3-gb-qt4 (>=3.8) | gambas3-gb-qt5 (>=3.8))

in the sence that one qt excludes the other qt version, but qt will be
used for sure and not gtk/gtk3?

Thanks,

gbWilly