[Gambas-user] Repost of "ODBC mod needed" message in devel list.

zxMarce d4t4full at ...626...
Sat Aug 22 17:02:44 CEST 2015

Hi Benoît,

I apologize for cross-posting in advance, but  I made a post in the devel
list
<http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/Change-to-gb-db-odbc-to-use-ODBC-Connection-Strings-td52283.html>
and I don´t think anyone saw it, so I am reposting it here.

Basically, I altered the Gambas 3.8 *gb.db.odbc* component sources so the
*Connection*´s *.Host* property can be used either as a Host (an ODBC DSN,
actually) as it originally was intended, or an ODBC connection string
(DSN-Less connections, in ODBC parlance). Connecting DSN-Less is what I need
to do.

So, I patched the component sources to do the job (beware - I am not a C
programmer, but I can read, try to understand, copy-paste and edit), but I
don´t know how to compile it to test it, or whom to send it so it gets in
the mainstream packages if it works. The mods are better explained in the
devel post.

What I´d need is two things:
1- How to compile and install my modded component (prefereably compile it
alone having made a backup of the original binary component), and
2- Whom to send the modded sources for further test and publishing.

One more thing I´ll be needing help with is a better check of End-Of-Data.
It turns out that MS SQL Servers are lazy as hell and for a SELECT record
count they (usually) respond *-1 Records Available*. There IS a way to do it
right, yet I think it won´t be as easy as being able to connect with a
connection string... Anyway this is for later.

TIA,
zxMarce.