[Gambas-user] Control Backgroung/Foreground colour

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Wed Sep 17 00:40:31 CEST 2014

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, John Leake wrote:
> > The "delete" key is the shortcut for deleting the control. Use the
> > "backspace" key for voiding the property.
> Sorry guys this is inconsistent and unintuitive and will drive newbies
> away for sure.
>
> Where does it tell the user that this is so. If you double click the
> text property it is highlighted and when you press delete the text is
> deleted not the control.
>
> If a user wants to delete the control they select the control (has the
> focus, it is their last action and when they press delete then it
> deletes the control).
>
> If a user selects a control to access its properties and then double
> clicks the property (the highlight gives then the visual feedback that
> the highlighted text is going to receive the delete) but instead the
> control vanishes.
>
> Please, please this is not a criticism. I am a newbie to Gambas IDE. I
> am gifted with newbie insight and will not be corrupted by
> idiosyncrasies like this. You guys have been working with this for so
> long you cannot see the problems that newbies will face.  It has become
> second nature to you.

Do I have to question my understanding of criticism? I really think this
is criticism and where I come from this is nothing bad. Especially if the
criticising person does it the conciliatory way :-)

> I will guarantee that all newbies would feel this way.

That is a strong claim! No chance there is someone who does that twice and
just accepts the way it works now? Maybe they'll realise that this happens
only for input boxes which are read-only when time is right :-)

> So what are we to do ?
>
> I think you have climbed to great heights of achievement and I like the
> overall architecture but I will not accept your response to this
> fundamental point of usability and what's more I could not live with it.
>
> If you are happy to guide me along as you have so far (and I thank you
> for all of that) I am happy to find bugs in your code in return.  If you
> do not accept my input as being a bug then that is your right and I am
> fine with that.
>
> I am in the process of importing the repo into git so that I can work
> independently and you are welcome to clone it and explore what I have done.
>
> Still friends ?

I don't think there would be a problem on Benoit's side to grant you write
access to the svn repository. If that's a problem for *you*, I'm sad to say
that, if your changes are good, you kind of put people into the hassle of
seeing them through and importing them on their own. I can already see
myself looking at your tree once a day in that future which I know I won't
have time for...

Regards,
Tobi