[Gambas-user] ...And what is planned for Gambas 3.7

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Sep 16 02:03:59 CEST 2014

Hi again,

For the next version, I'd like to implement a Gambas dedicated software
repository.

Here are my current thoughts about it, and I'd like to hear comments and
ideas from you. I want to start with something as simple as possible
first...

1) The Gambas repository is an http web service, but without website at
the moment. It will allow to:
- upload software.
- search for software.
- download software.

2) A software is a compiled Gambas project, with eventually the source
project. Nothing more.

3) In the IDE, I will add a dialog to upload your project.

4) Uploading a project requires:
- a login and a password, so you should be able to create an account
from the IDE.
- a project name.
- a project description.
- a project icon.
- a project screenshot (optional).
- a project major version.
- tags. Some tags will be automatic (for example the component used by
the project), some will be predefined.
- a project control sum (MD5/SHA...).

5) I will made an external Gambas program to:
- Search for projects inside the repository.
- Download and install a project somewhere in the user home directory.

6) That program should be able to know how to install the needed gambas
binary packages according to the system distribution. If it is not
possible, it should at least warn the user about missing components.

7) A Gambas program may depend on other programs in the repository. That
way libraries will be able to be put in the repository too.

8) Gambas examples will be moved from the source tree to the repository.

9) The repository will be able to include the same program in different
X.Y versions.

10) The web service protocol will be documented, and the server will be
a GPL Gambas project, so that anybody can bring up its own repository if
needed.

11) Consequently, we should be able to define different source
repositories (like Ubuntu ppas) for downloading, and different targets
for publishing.

Now just tell me what you think about that.

--
Benoît Minisini