[Gambas-user] A good idea?

B Bruen bbruen at ...2308...
Sun Oct 12 00:11:14 CEST 2014

Just an update.

This works really well.  Thanks Tobi for help in crystallising where I was trying to go with this.
So far (I am only working on this part-time - it's a non-income earner but it will save so much time and effort in the future) I have a robust solution for fully-autonomous pop-ups (ones that are fully independent of the application project e.g. "System Information") and quasi-autonomous popups (ones that get information on the application project out of the executable archive e.g. "About Me"). Converting our existing popup components into virtual menu items now takes only a few minutes per component - add a wrapper class that inherits the VMenuItem class, set a few properties, compile and install.
I am now working on the best way to handle popup forms that rely on or interact with the dynamic data in the application project. Say a general "EditClient" popup that would be made available in "OrderEntry" or "Invoice" application projects where I want to pass the current Client object to the editor popup and have the application client's object automatically update and refresh when the popup is "Saved".  I have a couple of prototypes of different ways to handle this and a few more ideas.  Will decide on the best way after a bit more work.
Should this work (or when it works) opens up this concept to a wider approach that not only handles what I am now calling "virtual menu items" but also "virtual toolbuttons", and other virtual controls (in the above examplpe, think of a client name buttonbox that handles the entire edit processing within itself, no code needed in the application project).

Another idea is to use this approach to provide entire "standard" menus by dragging a virtual control onto a form.  This would include, say, File|Edit|View|Tools|Help and all the associated submenus. Just drag the VStandardMenu virtual control onto the form - no need to build these menus via the IDE each time....

rgrds
Bruce

--
B Bruen <bbruen at ...2308...>