[Gambas-user] Combobox behavior with long lists

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Wed Oct 1 14:33:11 CEST 2014

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014, Jesus wrote:
> El 01/10/14 a las #4, Alain Baudrez escribi?:
> > Jesus,
> >
> > the funny thing is that I use gb.qt4 and I have this very long top to
> > bottom list in Linux Mint 17 Mate.
> >
> > Maybe it is not 100% depending on the toolkit used.
>
> It is, at a degree. This is the theme used by the qt4 tk. Test with
> another style (using the tool qtconfig-qt4). I've just tested it and
> "Plastique" style behaves as you want.

Plastique is the best thing that has ever happened on computers (at least
the version called "Plastik" that I am running), but in general I'd think
that people aren't content with (massively!) changing how things look just
to get a small thing to behave.

But the only solution I see here is to write your own ComboBox. Since it's
a native (non-compound) control you can't even reasonably extend the
existing class to (ab)use some of its internals, like re-wiring event
handlers from child controls. (You can always do this sort of hack with
compound controls written in Gambas, i.e. non-native ones.)

Another thing could be that Benoit adds a new event to the ComboBox. If
there is an event handler for it, that would mean that the Gambas programmer
wants to do their own popup[*] and if not, the standard popup is used. But
I doubt that this would be implemented. It looks too weird/fragile.

Regards,
Tobi

[*] If you write your own ComboBox, this is something you also need to think
    of: "how do I implement a popup that attaches visually to my control but
    _could_ be larger than my form?". We currently explore this question in
    a quite related thread here[0].

[0] http://gambas-club.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4761