[Gambas-user] Gambas Software Farm in revision #6676

B Bruen bbruen at ...2308...
Wed Nov 26 23:18:30 CET 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:05:26 +0100
Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...> wrote:

> > On 11/26/2014 09:47 AM, Fabien Bodard wrote:
> >> I like the idea of a password, one could also imagine a password
> >> dynamic key. That is to say a calculated key and unique provided by
> >> the farm at the time of payment.
> >
> > Yes, Fabien, that would be very handy for a marketplace.
> >
> > But, my idea of protecting private listings with a password was not
> > intended to complicate the Farm platform, nor to try turning it into a
> > marketplace. If the Farm provided any access credentials at the time of
> > payment, then it would have to process payments -- and would be a
> > marketplace.
> >
> > The idea was primarily intended to respect Benoît's declaration that the
> > Farm is not intended to be a marketplace while giving publishers, who
> > wished to do so, the ability to use it *somewhat* in that manner.
> >
> > It should be quite simple in concept.
> > 1. Publisher sets listing to Private and sets a password.
> > 2. User wishing to have publisher's software follows publisher's URL.
> > 3. Publisher handles all the rest through to providing the password.
> >
> > Of course, if Benoît wants to make it more complicated than that, that's
> > up to him. :-)
>
> I don't want to it to be so complicated... it was just an idea. As the
> farm can be not only on the wiki place but on private servers too.
> It was an idea for extends.

Which is certainly the way we intend to use it.

One thought, if the download part was managed using ftp rather than http then the "private" downloading could possibly be handled via the ftp server security features without much internal effort? I believe, but haven't tried it, that the ftpClient has the means to pass the necessary credentials on a Get.
(Note: I mean the actual retrieval part only, not the whole farm concept.)

regards
Bruce

--
B Bruen <adamnt42 at ...626...>