[Gambas-user] Gambas Software Farm in revision #6676

Tue Nov 25 11:27:15 CET 2014

Am 24.11.2014 15:46, schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> Le 24/11/2014 15:37, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
>> As far as I know from KDE 3 and 4,
>>
>>> - A *.desktop file is created and installed in
>>> '~/.local/share/applications' so that it appears in the desktop menu.
>>
>> the .desktop files are stored in ~/Desktop. On my system,
>> firefox.desktop is the only one residing in ~/.local/share/applications
>> and there is a copy of it in ~/Desktop.
>
> I'm talking about the desktop application menu: this is a
> freedesktop.org standard. To add a menu entry, you have to install a
> *.desktop file in that folder.

Yes, I got you wrong here of course!

>> By the way, the farm is a very good idea!
>>
>> And it reminded me of your idea of a simple picture editor. I needed
>> such a thing this weekend, but in lack of other software I used Gimp
>> instead which is a bit of a functional dinosaur for just cutting an area
>> from a smartphone photo and reducing the resulting picture to a smaller
>> size...
>
> You can use the image editor of the IDE. It has a few bugs, but it is
> useful for not so simple tasks.

Ah, forgot about that one. But it was on my wife's laptop, and she
doesn't have a Gambas installed :)

>> Thinking about your idea, I came to the point where it should be
>> possible to just "install" such a program, with all dependencies (and
>> the Gambas interpreter itself) installing automagically.
>>
>> As far as I understand, your farm will work like this. The only thing
>> I'm not clear about is if you intend the farm to be for people just
>> using the software or for potential Gambas programmers who want to take
>> a look at the code?
>>

> The last goal: the farm server can only host source code archive. The
> source code is compiled on the user's system, but the source remains
> available.
>
> In other words, it's not a "market place". :-)

Ok... I don't have any experience with such a thing, so I can't say what
I would use it for. Maybe I'll find out later!

Regards
Rolf