[Gambas-user] [GambasMag] Articles for Feb 2015 issue

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Mon Nov 24 15:33:10 CET 2014

Hi Tobi,

I have had some health issues and so I haven't been able to put much time
into the magazine. I have also moved 1600 miles from where I was and that
with the health issues delayed any work on the magazine. With my health
right now I have a few good days and many not so good days. But I would
love to publish your articles. The magazine's next issue will not follow
the outline for issues as I just don't have the energy to produce all I had
hoped for. I haven't even been coding at all in the past couple months.
Once my treatment is over I hope I can get back to following the outline
and publishing the magazine. At the moment is you write articles I will
publish a mini-issue with your article and two on game development I had
sent to me.

I have high hopes for Gambas Magazine but at the moment I simply can't put
in all the time it requires due to health issues.

Thank you for all your help.

Randall

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Tobias Boege <taboege at ...626...> wrote:

> Hi Randall,
>
> since the Oct 2014 issue had problems and I don't see anything for the Dec
> issue, I want to let you know that I'm in my element with Feb 2015. I have
> three articles in mind which I'm eager for submitting:
>
>   1. Graphs in Gambas. I will explain _in detail_ the objectives behind the
>      design of gb.data's Graph interface (the ability to _interpret_
> existing
>      data as a graph while saving memory) and show two sample graph
> classes.
>
>      One will be a solver for certain systems of linear inequalities using
>      the Bellman-Ford algorithm, for the more theoretic audience. The
> second
>      is a little more "salonfaehig"[*]: a flood fill using breadth-first-
>      search over a graph implicitely defined by the pixels of a picture.
>      [ The latter I have actually already sent to the mailing list, so
> maybe
>        I do something different. But it will surely be implicitely defining
>        a graph via properties of an already existing object and using graph
>        algorithms to solve the original problem. ]
>
>      Also I intend to write a small GraphViz class which can export graphs
>      as PNG images via graphviz' "dot" utility. I'll see if this fits in...
>
> [*] A German word I can't find a suitable translation for. It means to be
>     appropriate/decent in the particular society's context/etiquette. Here
>     it simply means: not so theoretic, more appealing for those hands-on
>     people (because you actually see something).
>
>   2. Boolean expression parser. Some years ago I have developed a simple
>      boolean expression parser in C which understands up to 26 variables
> and
>      the boolean functions not, and, or, equivalence and implication. It
>      will print out the given expression and its truth values in all
>      possible configurations for the variables. [ It solved all of these
>      boring "write down the truth table for this expression" assignments
> for
>      me in the first semester :-) ]
>
>      I will use the Shunting-yard algorithm to parse the input and then a
>      queue-based RPN evaluator to get the truth value. So we have Stack and
>      Queue as the central characters here. We will also face the need to
>      extend the Queue class -- a very cool technique in Gambas which too
> few
>      people seem to be aware of.
>
>   3. Graphical Gnuplot control. Another question which I saw popping up
>      frequently lately is that people want to write their own graphical
>      controls to put on their forms.
>
>      In this article I will do just that: write a GnuplotArea control which
>      you can give a function to let gnuplot plot onto your form. It will
>      support some style options which gnuplot offers. The gnuplot / data
>      visualisation part is why it is relevant to the Feb 2015 issue. The
>      beginning of this thing goes back to a thread from, I think, Bruce on
> [...]

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?