[Gambas-user] Gambas Software Farm in revision #6676

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Nov 24 14:11:54 CET 2014

The recent news about Gambas Software Farm:

- Many bug fixes.

- The farm configuration (server list, identities) has been removed from
the IDE option dialog, and is now in its own dialog. That way, the code
of the software farm is independent, and will be put in its own
executable (gambas3-farm) in the future.

- Voting is now possible by clicking on the star button, as soon as you
are identified on the server. Each user can assing zero or one vote for
each software. The number displayed beside the star is the total number
of votes

- Installing is not done.

As for installing software, here are my thoughts:

- The farm server will extract the ".project" file for the submitted
software to know about its component dependencies (not done).

- When installing, the farm client will download the ".project" file to
check these dependencies. If they do not match, an error message will be
displayed, and the installation will abort.

- In the future, the error message could be replaced by an automatic
installation of binary packages depending on the distribution. I need
help for that: for each distribution, I need to know how to install a
binary package, and if the distribution follows the gambas binary
package naming convention.

- If there are dependencies of other softwares, then a recursive search
of all the dependencies is done, and the corresponding software must be
installed first.

- The source package is downloaded, and stored in something like
'~/.local/gambas3/farm/<farm server>/'.

- The software is compiled on the user's computer, and the executable is
installed in '~/.local/gambas3/bin/'.

- A *.desktop file is created and installed in
'~/.local/share/applications' so that it appears in the desktop menu.

Waiting for your comments!

--
Benoît Minisini