[Gambas-user] A strategical move for two communities: Gambas and The GNU Project

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro oitofelix at ...181...
Thu May 15 03:58:15 CEST 2014

Em Tue, 13 May 2014 23:30:05 +0200
Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...> escreveu:

> If becoming a GNU project means that the code must be rewritten to
> follow the GNU's C notation standard, then I can't agree. I don't
> have the time to do that.

I've contacted the GNU evaluation team about this issue and they told
me that the GNU C coding style is purely optional.  Therefore, there is
no problem with Gambas maintaining the current coding style.

The GNU Project is enthusiastic about the integration of Gambas within
the GNU system as the official Basic interpreter.

Although it's not an absolute requirement, the GNU Project would like
you to consider relicensing Gambas' code base under GPLv3+ in order to
more effectively defend Gambas users' freedom.  By the way, is Gambas
currently licensed under GPLv2-only or GPLv2+?

Ultimately, you should fill the short questionnaire at the GNU
Software Evaluation page[1] and send it to <gnueval-input at ...181...> so
the GNU Project can start the formal procedure required for dubbing
Gambas a GNU package.

Benoît, if you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact
myself or the GNU evaluation team.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Happy joining!

Footnotes:

[1] http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;