[Gambas-user] Form Type Panel (gb.desktop)

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed May 14 00:16:41 CEST 2014

Le 12/05/2014 21:51, Benoît Minisini a écrit :
> Le 08/05/2014 23:22, herberth guzman a écrit :
>> Thanks Beno? t Minisini for answering my email
>> and for suggesting the link http://standards.freedesktop.org
>>
>> freedesktop theme is very broad
>> but from what I read
>> to be needed to make the panel:
>>
>> gb.desktop support for:
>>
>> _NET_WM_STRUT(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 32 (border_panel)
>> _NET_WM_STRUT= left, right, top, bottom
>>
>> _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 32(border_panel), 0, 0, 0,
>> 0, 0,
>> 0, 0, desktop.w(large_panel)
>> _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL= left, right, top, bottom, left_start_y,
>> left_end_y,
>> right_start_y, right_end_y, top_start_x, top_end_x, bottom_start_x,
>> bottom_end_x
>>

>> _NET_WM_USER_TIME (This property contains the XServer time at which last
>> user activity in this window took place.)
>>
>> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE
>>
>> especially
>>
>> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK
>> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP
>>
>> Could you help me please.
>
> Yes, I can. But it will take some time.
>
> I will make a X11 component whose aim is exporting everything needed so
> that no call to the X11 library is needed, and you write only Gambas code.
>
> At the moment, such code exists, but it is located inside the gb.desktop
> component and not documented. Moreover, the interface of gb.desktop is
> not very well thought (it mixes desktop and window manager things).
>
> I think I will make a gb.desktop.x11 component you will be able to use
> directly, and I will rebase gb.desktop on it.
>
> Then you just will have to check both gb.desktop and gb.desktop.x11
> explicitely. You will use gb.desktop for desktop things, and you will
> use gb.desktop.x11 for specific things like you asked in that mail.
>
> Be patient!

gb.desktop.x11 is up since revision #6261, and is partially documented
on the wiki.

Tell me if you understand how to use it to implement panel management.

That component has a X11Watcher class too, that allows to receive events
when a property change on any window. It allows you to implement a
taskbar easily.

You will miss:
- Multi-screen management.
- Support for the systray protocol.
- Features to implement a window manager.

Benoît Minisini