[Gambas-user] Getting the "un-specialed" XMLElement.TextContent string

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at ...626...
Tue Jun 24 16:36:11 CEST 2014

Le Tue, 17 Jun 2014 01:37:49 +0200, B Bruen <bbruen at ...2308...> a
écrit:

> (I'm sure I've done this before, but I can't find my prior code nor can
> I find it in either of the help sites.)
>
> I just want to set a string variable to the text content of an element.
> I am almost certain there was a way to have it automatically convert all
> the "special character"s, like &nbsp, &lt, etc etc to their "normal"
> representation.  Is there such a function, or was I just dreaming?
>
> tia
> Bruce

(Sorry about the late answer, I was quite busy these last few months ...)

The XmlNode.TextContent property is actually what you're looking for : it
defines the node's text content without these entities. For example, this
little code :

   Dim doc As New XmlDocument

   doc.FromString("<xml>Fish & chips</xml>") 'This can be doc.Open(),
doc.Content = "..." or whatever

   Print doc.ToString()

   Print doc.Root.TextContent

... will output this :

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xml>Fish & chips</xml>
   Fish & chips

Moreover, you have the static couple of methods XmlNode.Serialize() and
XmlNode.Deserialize() that allow you to convert strings back and forth
between the "with entities" and "without entities" representations.

Adrien Prokopowicz