[Gambas-user] Settings: how to get (unknown) Keys?

wig wig at ...1809...
Wed Jun 18 15:08:23 CEST 2014

How the get the (unknown keys) from a Settings file?

Terminology of Keys and "Slot" for the group of keys in a settings file
taken from documentation;

This gives the names of the slots:

  Dim SettingsToImport As New Settings(User.Home &/
".config/gambas3/gambas3.conf")

  Dim sKeySlot As String
  Dim iSlotCounter As Integer

  For Each sKeySlot In SettingsToImport.Keys
    Debug sKeySlot
    Inc iSlotCounter
  Next
  Debug "  - - - - " & iSlotCounter

Works fine, gives me all the slotnames, and the count of e.g.23:

> Editor
> FColorChooser
> FConnectionEditor
> gb.form.mdi/FShortcut
> gb.form.mdi/FToolbarConfig
> gb.form.mdi/Toolbars/main
>    - - - - 23

Next step; I want to have the keys themselves.  But how? (assuming I do
not know the keynames)

  Dim SettingsToImport As New Settings(User.Home &/
".config/gambas3/gambas3.conf")

  Dim sKey As String
  Dim iKeyCounter As Integer

  Dim hSettingsKeys As _Settings_Keys  ' what I found in gb.settings docum.

  For Each sKeySlot In SettingsToImport.Keys
    Debug sKeySlot
    Inc iSlotCounter

    hSettingsKeys = SettingsToImport.Keys[sKeySlot]  ' docum says
hSettings.Keys [ Parent As String ]

    For Each sKeySlot In hSettingsKeys
      Inc iKeyCounter
      Debug iKeyCounter & ": " & sKey
    Next

  Next

Doesn't crash, doesn't freeze, but gives the output:

> Editor
> 1: Font
> 2: KeywordsUseUpperCase
> KeywordsUseUpperCase

That's all, it stops.

(I want to import a Settings file, not use it for my app itself; I know
how to save and use settings for my app).

This in Gambas 3.4.1 on OpenSuse 13.1/KDE

WiG.