[Gambas-user] Webbrowser without gb.qt4??

Wolfgang, dl7nb dl7nb at ...17...
Mon Jun 9 13:38:39 CEST 2014

Am 09.06.2014 12:08, schrieb Tobias Boege:
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2014, B Bruen wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 10:04:12 +0200
>> "Wolfgang, dl7nb" <dl7nb at ...17...> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> To display a html-file I would need the webbrowser from qb.qt4.webkit.
>>> That would be no problem BUT:
>>>
>>> My program grew of many month and is based on qb.gui (As it was a
>>> default when I started it)
>>>
>>> If I drop gb.gui to use gb.qt4.webkit (and gb.qt4)I get different
>>> looking forms and  my program does no longer work.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to display html files WITH gb.gui (in absence of qt4)?
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>>
>> Sorry,I don't have an answer for you, merely a comment.
>>
>> Without going into specifics, your comment "If I drop gb.gui to use gb.qt4.webkit (and gb.qt4)I get different looking forms and  my program does no longer work." rings like a similar bell here too.  We are currently changing all our gb.gui projects to gb.qt4 in order to alleviate user complaints about the gtk situation across various distros. So:
>>
>> Has gui independence now become economically un-viable?
>>
>> Any comments, especially from Benoit.
>>
> At gambas-buch.de, one of the first concrete decisions was to solely use
> gb.qt4. gb.gtk never really worked for me (I was with Gambas 2 on Ubuntu
> 8.04/9.04 with a Gnome desktop where it was buggy and after that on Arch
> Linux with Trinity where Qt is just more canonical to use) and soon Hans
> noticed unpleasant discrepancies with what I told his program does over
> here (gb.gui/gb.qt4) and he had developed over there (gb.gui/gb.gtk).
>
> Imagine people reading the book, trying the programs and noticing that
> things actually don't quite work as described. (Talking about the problems
> we had *back then*:) the programs usually did what they should but sometimes
> there were issues like misplaced controls, wrong colours, methods not doing
> something... That's just the mixture of working and non-working that would
> make readers think: "oh, that's a weird book. Maybe I come back in two years
> to see if it is any better".
>
> Sadly, we failed to report this stuff back then... I was also quite new
> around here at this time.
>
> Don't know how much my comment's worth but you're not the only one to have
> that thought.
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

Thank you B.Bruen and Tobi,

...so it may be a wise decision to throw gb.gui over board and stay with
qt4...

That is what I have feared, but this way I have enough work for the
summer ;-)

Anyway: you helped me out of this problem! Thank you!

 From northern Bavaria

Wolfgang