[Gambas-user] Fwd: libraries and locations: feature request

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jun 6 10:07:49 CEST 2014

Le 06/06/2014 09:30, Ian Haywood a écrit :
> I've started using gambas libraries to break my projecty up into more
> manageable components.
>
> My understanding is libraries must be in the same directory as the
> compiled executable when deployed: so that's /usr/bin
>
> The debian packaging system complains that I don't have a manpage for
> each of my libraries: but only some of them will be run directly, some
> are only for use as gambas libraries.
>
> I can see a collision with debian policy: libraries should go in
> /usr/lib, ideally /usr/lib/gambas3/ or something like that.
>
> Can we have gambas look in /usr/lib/gambas3 as well as /usr/bin for libraries?
>
> Ian

No, because '/usr/lib/gambas3' is for gambas components, not the
libraries you make for your project.

Logically, if your project is named "MyProject", you should put your
libraries in '/usr/lib/MyProject'. Actually, you shoud put them in
'/usr/share/MyProject', because 'libraries' means 'executable shared
objects' in that context.

So I think the problem is better described that way:

1) I have multiple Gambas projects that are actually one or more
executables, and a bunch of libraries. All that is "MyBigProject".

2) I want to install the executables in '/usr/bin'. The libraries should
go in '/usr/share/MyBigProject'. I may put other executables in
'/usr/share/MyBigProject' too. How can I tell the IDE?

What do you think?

--
Benoît Minisini