[Gambas-user] Issue 542 in gambas: gb.net.smtp auth plain fails due to addtional "\r\n"

gambas at ...2524... gambas at ...2524...
Sun Jul 27 13:21:01 CEST 2014

Owner: ----
Labels: Version-3.5.0 Type-Bug Priority-Medium OpSys-Any Dist-Any Arch-Any
Desktop-Any GUI-Any

New issue 542 by thuga... at ...626...: gb.net.smtp auth plain fails due to
addtional "\r\n"
http://code.google.com/p/gambas/issues/detail?id=542

1) Describe the problem.

I have an application that tries to sends email using gb.net.smtp. Sending
the email fails because the host returns:
Response code: Authentication credentials invalid (535)
Responce parameter: 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed.

Sending email to the same server using Thunderbird works and comparing
things using a tcpdump log I see that both base64 plain auth strings are
the same only gb.net.smtp has some additional characters. Decoding these
string I see that they match only gb.net.smtp has at the end
additional "\r\n".

Looking in the libsmtp_connection.c source I see that indeed "\r\n" is
added so I commented out that and recompiled gambas. Tried again and I can
successfully send the email.

Looked at the Internet to see if there are any specs on adding "\r\n" to
the auth string but could not find that. The examples I found, for instance
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4954 show no "\r\n":

$ perl -MMIME::Base64 -MDevel::Peek -e 'Dump
decode_base64("dGVzdAB0ZXN0ADEyMzQ=")'
SV = PV(0x1811878) at 0x1813990
   REFCNT = 1
   FLAGS = (TEMP,POK,pPOK)
   PV = 0x182e270 "test\0test\0001234"\0
   CUR = 14
   LEN = 16

The server I am using is smtp.vodafonevast.nl which according to the
Service ready message (220) is smtp01.glasoperator.nl ESMTP Postfix

2) Give information about your system. Use the 'System information' menu in
the Gambas IDE, and paste the result there.

[System]
Gambas=3.5.4
OperatingSystem=Linux
Kernel=3.4.79-sun7i