[Gambas-user] Gambas 3.5.4 and the Stable PPA

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Sat Jul 12 21:53:45 CEST 2014

On za, 2014-07-12 at 02:38 -0300, Sebastian Kulesz wrote:
> Hey! Long time no see.
>
> I got word a few hours ago that Kendek won't be maintaining the Stable PPA
> any more. Instead, he created a new PPA under the gambas-team Launchpad
> name and uploaded the current stable (3.5.3) packages so they can be
> updated by us.

I've seen his PPA has been archived and mailed him. He told me the same.

> The thing is, I don't have ubuntu installed in my computer as i don't need
> it to manage the Daily Builds PPA. The problem arises when trying to push
> Gambas 3.5.4 to the Stable PPA using the same method i'm using for the
> Daily Builds. To do this, i have to bisect 3 repositories to find the
> revision which corresponds to the release of the 5.* branch. Right now,
> this repositories correspond to the next release of Gambas (3.6). So, even
> if i were to do the bisection and find the working revision, the builds
> would still differ from the one Kendek made.

Could you not simply take from svn 3.5 branch, instead of picking
revisions, or am I understanding this wrong?

> Because of this, I decided not to package this release in the new PPA for
> now. Different package methods can introduce bugs that should not exist in
> a stable distribution.
> Don't get me wrong, with enough time, i know it can be done. But i'm
> currently studying for finals and time is really scarce.

I'm glad you are willing to take up this job, but your finals go first,
so we will be patient.:)

> If anybody is up for the job, please let me know. If it's not too time
> consuming i will do my best to help get it done.

I wish I knew how to package, have been reading about it and was advised
to start with simple packages. Packaging Gambas doesn't seem a good
point of start for learning how to package debs in general.

> Next week, once i'm done, i will fix the repositories to also build the
> Stable releases, but until the next major release I won't label it as
> stable. I don't want to put extra work where it is not needed.
>
> Bad news aside, this move brings the possibility for automatic Beta builds.
> This ones will be based off the current stable branch, and be updated every
> time there is a merge from trunk to backport a bugfix.
> This shortens the window of getting a fix for a stopping bug from months to
> 24 hours! :)

Sounds promising, looking forward to it and thanks for your efforts to
get Gambas latest stable available on Ubuntu and its siblings...

--
Kind regards,

Willy (aka gbWilly)

http://gambasshowcase.org/