[Gambas-user] Gambas 3.5.4 and the Stable PPA

Sebastian Kulesz sebikul at ...626...
Sat Jul 12 07:38:08 CEST 2014

Hey! Long time no see.

I got word a few hours ago that Kendek won't be maintaining the Stable PPA
any more. Instead, he created a new PPA under the gambas-team Launchpad
name and uploaded the current stable (3.5.3) packages so they can be
updated by us.

The thing is, I don't have ubuntu installed in my computer as i don't need
it to manage the Daily Builds PPA. The problem arises when trying to push
Gambas 3.5.4 to the Stable PPA using the same method i'm using for the
Daily Builds. To do this, i have to bisect 3 repositories to find the
revision which corresponds to the release of the 5.* branch. Right now,
this repositories correspond to the next release of Gambas (3.6). So, even
if i were to do the bisection and find the working revision, the builds
would still differ from the one Kendek made.

Because of this, I decided not to package this release in the new PPA for
now. Different package methods can introduce bugs that should not exist in
a stable distribution.
Don't get me wrong, with enough time, i know it can be done. But i'm
currently studying for finals and time is really scarce.

If anybody is up for the job, please let me know. If it's not too time
consuming i will do my best to help get it done.
Next week, once i'm done, i will fix the repositories to also build the
Stable releases, but until the next major release I won't label it as
stable. I don't want to put extra work where it is not needed.

Bad news aside, this move brings the possibility for automatic Beta builds.
This ones will be based off the current stable branch, and be updated every
time there is a merge from trunk to backport a bugfix.
This shortens the window of getting a fix for a stopping bug from months to
24 hours! :)

Again, if you want to help, please let me know!