[Gambas-user] Discourse?

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sun Jul 6 22:59:32 CEST 2014

On 07/06/2014 02:21 PM, Jørn Erik Mørne wrote:
> bit too ... what word to put? It just feels a bit like using your fist to get
> the nail in, when there's a hammer... I came across an open source rails
> mailinglist/board type of solution that looks really nice, and it could work
> really well for the Gambas mailing list.:
> http://www.discourse.org/

I see their pretty web interface, but nothing in their "About" or "FAQ"
pages about its email list functionality, just that it was a replacement
for mailing lists. I don't really do web forums, myself, and if I did, it
would amount to having two separate accounts for Gambas since my
sourceforge address is used for many other lists. Yes, mailing lists are
40-year-old technology. The reason technical people still are using them
after 40 years is that they work and allow for easy archiving without
depending on the benevolence of someone's web host.

I would wager that most of us who post, and all of the main Gambas
developers, are getting this through email clients and not through a web
interface of any kind (unless it's web mail). Many people who use Gambas
aren't going to be familiar with that because it's mostly VB6 users who are
attracted to Gambas, and people coming from a Windows background don't tend
to get mailing lists, listserv commands and the like. Those of us coming
from a Unix background... do.

Rob