[Gambas-user] creating gb.qt4.webkit pages using gb.markdown etc (quick question)

B Bruen bbruen at ...2308...
Sat Jul 5 23:27:11 CEST 2014

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 23:15:14 -0600
Randall Morgan <rmorgan62 at ...626...> wrote:

> I am not quit sure I understand what you mean the best way to build the how
> to form.
>
> I use a web editor like Dreamweaver, Aptana Studio, etc. to create template
> pages. These pages are stored in the project folder. I then load the data
> needed to complete the page from a database, text or xml file. An entire
> page of content can be loaded this way.
>
> I hope this helps

Yes, thanks Randall. I was probably just too close to the problem to see the obvious solution.
(Talk about over-complicating things.)

Bruce

> [...]
> > access the aide-mémoire files themselves. So it's sort of like a gambas
> > help browser thing I am trying to build.  The aide-mémoire "pages" are
> > fairly simple. A topic, a title and a list of the steps needed. As an
> > example, to change the ownership of a registered racing thoroughbred, which
> > is required by the "rules" here in Australia, the registered trainer must
> > submit a paper or fax form of up to 20 pages length to the national
> > registry organisation.  To prepare this paperwork could take the trainer an
> > hour or so.  Our gambas application does this in a few seconds. The steps
> > (manual) are:
> > 1) prepare the ownership change form
> > 2) submit the form to the registry
> > 3) wait ... .... ... until the registry confirms that the change has been
> > approved and registered, or denied, or queried ...
> > 4) file the ownership papers appropriately.
> > Our application takes care of 1,2 and 4.  But looks more like:
> > 1) use menu item blah to prepare and submit ownership change documents to
> > registry
> >    * the horse owners records will be updated, but marked as "pending"
> > 2) when the change confirmation is received, use menu item blah2 to update
> > owner records
> >   * the pending status will be removed and emails to the (changed) owners
> > will be sent automatically.
> >   * the new ownership schedule will be printed so you can file it
> > appropriately.
> > 3) if the change is denied or queried by the registry see the following
> > how-tos:
> >   * etc
> >
> >  And this is one of the simplest (haha) things one could imagine for the
> > arcane and bureaucratic ways things are run here. (You dont want to see
> > other examples.)
> >
> > So:
> > I want to build a how-to form in our trainer application that (simply) has
> > an index page and a set of dynamically generated pages (based) on some
> > simple text files. The index page will be static with just a set of links
> > that access the topic page.  I don't need or want anything fancier than
> > that... yet.
> > We are doing the following:
> > * these files are being actively converted to the gambas "markdown"
> > syntax.  Very simple, but time consuming due to the number of them (~300)
> > * trying to figure out the best way to build the "how-to" form.
> >
> > This last bit is what I am asking about.  I am "wishing" that there is a
> > really easy way to achieve the goals outlined above without having to
> > re-invent the wheel so to speak.
> >
> > Any input will be (really) gratefully recieved.
> >
> > tia
> > Bruce
> >
> > --
> > B Bruen <bbruen at ...2308...>

> --
> If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
> The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will

B Bruen <bbruen at ...2308...>