[Gambas-user] Gambas Future or what kind of Gambas we want.

Carl Nilsson nilsson at ...1979...
Fri Jan 24 03:20:27 CET 2014

Jussi:
Re Ubuntu:  I don't know what went wrong - maybe it was my hardware -
I'll try again sometime.
Re the munix9 repository: Yes, I think the packaging was at fault.  I
saw a reference to that somewhere.
There was a useful guide to installation on
http://gambasdoc.org/help/install?en&view&v3, but it's a bit out of
date now.  I did use it to install an earlier Gambas (3.2.1, I think)
on SUSE10 - on the above hardware.
Re the RPi and Wheezy: Not quite as you think: Gambas 3.5 appears to
install OK and finishes.  It is when you try to use Gambas 3.5 that
the CPU usage goes to 100% and stays there.  Other potential users
found the same thing.  The only thing that got me a nearly up-to-date
Gambas on the RPi was the image with Gambas 3.2.1 installed that I
got from a private download.  See previous post.
Re openSUSE and Gambas.  To dissuade potential users from using
openSUSE would be wrong, IMO.  Gambas 3.5.1 installs without any
problems on openSUSE 13.1 and Gambas works very well - once I had the
permissions under control! I find the latter OS with KDE a very nice distro.

To be constructive, here is my take:
1.      There needs to be an up to date list of distros and
repositories, together with some installation instructions, that work
with recent versions of Gambas - what distros and repositories that
gambas will both install and work under.  Just like the list referred
to above at gambasdoc.org, but kept up to date.  (Maybe there is one,
but I have missed it?)  The usual process is to first choose a Linux,
then try to install Gambas.   One needs to be able to choose a
combination that installs sweetly.  Like OpenSUSE 13.1 and gambas 3.5.1.

2.      When you have boards that come out with potentially a huge
take-up, like the RPi, someone or some group (like Willy Raets has
proposed) needs to be able to get out an img file (or something
similar) that has a current Linux distro (or several alternatives)
with Gambas and other components (drivers) pre-installed.   There's
an opening right now with the BeagleBone Black board.  By all means
charge a modest price for the file, to cover the cost of producing
it.  These boards attract newbies, because they open up fresh
computing opportunities.

I have used up more than enough space.
Carl