[Gambas-user] configure options

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun Feb 9 16:59:37 CET 2014

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014, Dominique Michel wrote:
> Le Sat, 8 Feb 2014 07:53:27 +0100,
> Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...> a ?crit :
>
> > The Development Environment
> >
> > The Gambas IDE is made with Gambas. In order to compile and use it,
> > you need to compile the following components:
> >
> > gb.db
> > gb.db.form
> > gb.debug
> > gb.desktop
> > gb.eval
> > gb.eval.highlight
> > gb.form
> > gb.form.dialog
> > gb.form.mdi
> > gb.image
> > gb.image.effect
> > gb.qt4
> > gb.qt4.ext
> > gb.qt4.webkit
> > gb.settings
> >
> > Then all the infos are here :
> > http://gambasdoc.org/help/howto/package?v3
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Fabien Bodard
>
> Thanks for the info. The issue with gentoo is it install all from the
> sources, and in order to split Gambas in several package, I have to
> deal with autoconf in the ebuilds for that.
>
> In configure.ac and Makefile.am, I can remove the directories that
> doesn't correspond to a given package. If I understand right, if I made
> a base ebuild with
>
> AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(main)
> AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(comp)
> AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(app)
> AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(examples)
>
> I will get a build with the runtime, development, scripter and example
> packages, and some extras which are parts of the IDE. I can use an USE
> flag for the examples.

Hmm. Not really. You will also get things like gb.report, gb.web or
gb.memcached from comp/ which are rather highlevel components (not
ultimately needed to run Gambas and not even the IDE). And you will get
things like gb.data or gb.inotify from main/lib/ which are also unneccessary
for a runtime or even runtime + IDE package.

>> Are any of these components mandatory in order to get a working minimal
>> Gambas installation?

Only the gb component is mandatory actually. And it's built together with
the interpreter in main/gbx/.

>> Are any of these components dependent of any other of these components,
>> and if yes, which one(s) and how?

As a rule of thumb: C/C++ components usually (?) don't depend upon each
other. If they do, they belong to the same "package" anyway, like gb.qt4.ext
obviously depends on gb.qt4. However, Gambas components can depend on other
ones in less obvious ways. You can scan their .project files for Component=
lines to get this information.

>> Are any of these components recommended in order to get a good
>> experience with Gambas?

The IDE is a good thing but you can go without (I still have my vim syntax
files for Gambas sources :-)). Apart from that (which is a development tool
and not a component but pulls the latter ones in), it highly depends on what
people want to do. Does gentoo have a metapackage kind like "gambas3-things-
you-may-like" or why do you need this information?

Regards,
Tobi