[Gambas-user] ncurses help texts missing

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Tue Feb 4 09:46:54 CET 2014

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> your name is mentioned as the author of the ncurses component. Is that
> right?

Yes, that's right.

> Anyway, I wanted to play around a bit with ncurses and found this
> component. A long time ago, I tried to write a program with ncurses but
> gave up when I had to find the screen dimensions (the original C
> function uses a pointer thing I couldn't make workable for my Gambas
> program). So thanks you've done it for me :)
>
> But the help texts aren't ready yet, and I miss some short examples on
> how to start by making a window and so on.
>
> Are the undocumented functions not ready yet, or is it that the help
> texts aren't complete yet?

The help just isn't written. The component itself didn't change since 3.3 or
so. Not that I am totally confident with it but it's working as it should at
this point.

Some things missing (actually, the whole menu and forms extensions of
ncurses and wide character support!), etc. and I also want to add a
gb.ncurses.cdk component based on the CDK library which implements controls
in terminal but I have to design this carefully - and maybe even break
gb.ncurses' API (very slightly if at all!). This is why I'm stuck programming
and if the programming isn't done, I struggle to do the documentation :-)

There are gb.ncurses examples: Pong and Invaders (the last one still not
finished in regard to game logic) in the Games section. But if you told me
that these don't help gb.ncurses newbies, I would agree...

I'm actually not that fit anymore with gb.ncurses :-) but today afternoon
I'll put some lines together about the basics.

Regards,
Tobi

And now off to the Linear Algebra test ;-)