[Gambas-user] Install from Ubuntu repo - several issues

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Fri Dec 12 15:22:51 CET 2014

On vr, 2014-12-12 at 05:54 -0800, LVDave wrote:
> Having used to use MSVisualBasic many moons ago, I wanted to see how close
> Gambas was to VB. Since I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, I installed Gambas from the
> Ubuntu repository. Everything installed with no errors, but when I attempt
> to open any one of the sample projects, I get a dialog box saying "this
> project seems to be already opened, opening the same project twice can lead
> to data loss"...If I go ahead and "reopen" the sample, it appears to load
> ok, but then if I try to run it, I get a dialog box saying "the program has
> returned the value of 1"... As I said this occurs with all of the sample
> programs..
>
> What am I doing wrong??

As far as I know Ubuntu 14.04 official repository has a very outdated
Gambas 3.1.1.

Since Gambas 3.1.1, many bugs have been fixed and the latest stable
version is Gambas 3.6.2

I suggest you first remove the current install (if it is Gambas 3.1.1)
and next install the most recent stable Gambas 3.6.2 from the
Gambas-team PPA.

The instructions to install latest stable from binaries (PPA) are in the
Gambas wiki:
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/ubuntu#t2

If after all this you still have problems with the examples just let us
know.

--
Kind regards,

Willy (aka gbWilly)