[Gambas-user] Bug: Mageia packages made by IDE do not install application icon in distro menu

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at ...626...
Wed Dec 3 22:05:35 CET 2014

On 08/31/2014 07:54 AM, Willy Raets wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Lee (also on this mailinglist) did some testing of an application of
> mine.
> He reported that when installing the rpm he had script errors.
> The application did install and had a menu entry, but no icon was
> present for the entry.
>
> When I run the .deb files on Mint icon are properly made for the distro
> menu entry.
>
> So the problem seems to be in the mageia package as made by the IDE.

I believe, with the help of gbWilly who did testing on Linux Mint 13
(which is based on Ubuntu 12.04), I have determined the cause of the
script errors and the icon installation issue (and a temporary "fix").

The SPEC file generated by Gambas relies on build macros that may not be
defined on a Ubuntu-based system. These macros are defined in
'20build.macros' which, at least on Willy's system, does not exist.

So, here is my suggestion to fix this, Benoît.

In the SPEC file, define the _iconsdir, _miconsdir, and _liconsdir
macros as follows:
%define	_iconsdir		%{_datadir}/icons
%define	_miconsdir		%{_datadir}/icons/mini
%define	_liconsdir		%{_datadir}/icons/large

Then, simply remove "%{update_menus}" and "%{clean_menus}". They, on my
system, expand to "%{nil}" anyway.

I renamed '20build.macros' so these macros would not be available,
modified a Gambas-generated package SPEC file as suggested above, and
rebuilt the package. It built and installed with no errors and correctly
attributed the application icon to the menu entry.

If and until this is fixed in Gambas, I have attached a project file
that users with Ubuntu-based systems may be able to use to "fix" their
systems (ie. add the macro definitions) to facilitate making no-error
RPM-based packages on their systems.

--
Lee

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."