[Gambas-user] MIDI Patterns/Sequencer, ! Looking for interested developers !

Thu Aug 7 08:57:49 CEST 2014

On 08/06/2014 07:49 PM, sfdadds wrote:
> Hi all.
>
>    ! Looking for interested developers !
>
>    I'm working on a MIDI Pattern/Sequencer in Gambas3
>
>    So far it is made up of two projects
>
>     1) GConSeq (A console wrapper for ALSA), all commands are sent to GConSeq
> via STDIN (then sent/scheduled for ALSA) and responses via STDOUT/STDERR
>     2) GTrac (A GUI for creating/playing the actual MIDI patterns/sequences)
>
>    supports 16 MIDI tracks
>    wraps the ALSA API in a Gambas3 console application (send commands via a
> process or tell it to load commands from a file)
>    creates 16 ALSA output ports to be connected to any JACK (QJackCtl) MIDI
> sound sources
>    creates 1 ALSA sync/timing port for callback events (actually uses the
> ALSA file descriptor), used for timing and to notify a GUI about the current
> measure and beat playing
>    tempo is adjustable using a ALSA output queue with tempo settings (no
> timing loops, ALSA handles this)
>    saves all sessions as XML
>    exports sessions to a SMF (Standard MIDI File)
>    transport playback with looping goto measure etc
>    minimal copy/paste of events (need help with a better design, looks/works
> ok but need undo/redo)
>
>    the current implementation v0.1 is pattern based (can be anything) and
> works good
>
>    any app can access the ALSA API thru the GConSeq
>
>    currently working the recording side. able to record MIDI via ALSA with
> correct time-stamping
>      (needed ALSA input port with time-stamping enabled)
>    working another piano roll for displaying and editing the recorded MIDI
> events
>      (this piano roll cannot use a gridview since the recorded events in PPQ
> (pulses per quarter) could be up to 1536 (meaning 1536 time slices in a
> single quarter note)
>    working another effects display to go along with the recording piano roll
>
>    Looking for ideas, everything is open to change
>
>    Will need help setting up a shared development area, GIT or something
>
>    If interested in the project or source just respond back
>
>    Thanks, Sam

I used Cakewalk for Windows 3.1 extensively in high school and use
LMMS's sequencer now. I'd be interested in testing feature functionality
and making interface recommendations for the editor. FluidSynth for
have sound out of the box if a free GM soundfont was included. A fast
and intuitive sequencer allowing tracks to be mapped to different
Soundfonts (or custom user I/O) would be perfect for composing and
listening.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues