[Gambas-user] Inheriting, wrapping and casting

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro oitofelix at ...181...
Sat Apr 19 07:12:45 CEST 2014

Em Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:07:21 +0200
Tobias Boege <taboege at ...626...> escreveu:

> Oh, I forgot to ask: do you want the patch that allows inheritance-
> compatible[*] classes to be used in place of a class in method and
> property signatures to test the above approach - even if it's
> unlikely that it goes mainline?

Sure!  Reading [1] and [2], it seems that the main technical reason
Gambas doesn't support overriding signatures within inherited classes
is an optimization.  IMHO, the only way to justify such a restriction on
functionality is if the table symbol lookup were impracticably slow.
I'm usually much more concerned about powerfulness than speed.  I
think one language like Gambas should have its generality and
expressiveness maximized to the extent that its execution speed stays
reasonable.  I really like the "freedom" of choosing how to
structure my code.  The idea that the interpreter is passive about my
natural and intuitive programming creative process, as long it's still
logically consistent, is priceless.  Paraphrasing "The GNU Coding
Standards"[3]:

  The interpreter should be your servant, not your master.

Thank you very much for your efforts coding on the interpreter.

Footnotes:

[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/gambas/mailman/message/30783547/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/gambas/issues/detail?id=78
[3] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/index.html

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;