[Gambas-user] Repeat: Severe problem with update...

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Mon Apr 14 22:01:42 CEST 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 22:35 -0400, ISS Boss wrote:
> New information on my problem.  I went to the GambasWIKI site and
> followed these three instructions under the "Gambas3 Stable" header
> (which is how I installed it the first time):
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/gambas3
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> sudo apt-get install gambas3
>
> What I have now when I open Gambas is and get system info is:
>

> [System]
> Gambas=3.5.3
> OperatingSystem=Linux
> Kernel=3.5.0-48-generic
> Architecture=x86
> Distribution=Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
> Desktop=GNOME
> Theme=QGtk
> Language=en_US.UTF-8
> Memory=2017M
> [Libraries]
> Cairo=libcairo.so.2.11000.2
> Curl=libcurl.so.4.2.0
> DBus=libdbus-1.so.3.5.8
> GStreamer=libgstreamer-0.10.so.0.30.0
> GStreamer=libgstreamer-1.0.so.0.1.0
> GTK+=libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.10
> OpenGL=libGL.so.1.2.0
> Poppler=libpoppler.so.19.0.0
> Qt4=libQtCore.so.4.8.1
> SDL=libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3
>
> NOTE that Gambas 3.5.2 has been replaced by Gambas 3.5.3 (the only change).
>
> When I issued the first install instruction, I get results I was not
> anticipating.  They were as follows:
>
> bill at ...3318...:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/gambas3
> [sudo] password for bill:
> You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
>   This PPA contain the stable version of Gambas 3.
>   More info: https://launchpad.net/~nemh/+archive/gambas3
> Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it
>
> Exception in thread Thread-1:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 551, in __bootstrap_inner
>      self.run()
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py",
> line 99, in run
>      self.add_ppa_signing_key(self.ppa_path)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py",
> line 132, in add_ppa_signing_key
>      tmp_keyring_dir = tempfile.mkdtemp()
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/tempfile.py", line 322, in mkdtemp
>      name = names.next()
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/tempfile.py", line 141, in next
>      letters = [choose(c) for dummy in "123456"]
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/random.py", line 274, in choice
>      return seq[int(self.random() * len(seq))]  # raises IndexError if
> seq is empty
> ValueError: cannot convert float NaN to integer
>
> This indicates that something is wrong with an installation script
> somewhere doesn't it?  Shouldn't that be fixed?
>
> When I executed the "Install" command, I asked me if I wanted to install
> "unverified" packages.  I answered "Y". and it installed.
>
> Now, when I run the Update Manager it says I have no updates to
> install.  So, I guess my "problem" is solved for the time being. Will
> this happen the next time updates are up for Gambas?

> [...]

You should be good now if:
1. The proper PPA is added to your sources.list.
2. The Public Key of all PPA's used are on your system

These PPA's are the software repositories that are checked when
running:

$ sudo apt-get update

And these are the repositories updates will be installed from when
running:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Next time when PPA memh/gambas3 gets an updated gambas version the
apt-get update and upgrade will upgrade your version.

The message:

-----
"Requires installation of untrusted packages."

"This action would require the installation of packages from not
authenticated sources"
------

could have originated from another PPA as your output in previous mail
said:

------
W: GPG error: [97]http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release: The
following
   signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
available:
   NO_PUBKEY 14E4942973C62A1B
-------

This means that packages from this PPA are not trusted because of public
key missing for this PPA.
Check: http://blog.launchpad.net/ppa/adding-a-ppas-key-to-ubuntu
for more info on how to install a Public Key from a PPA.

--
Kind regards,

Willy (aka gbWilly)

http://gambasshowcase.org/