[Gambas-user] Repeat: Severe problem with update...

ISS Boss iss_boss at ...770...
Mon Apr 14 04:35:12 CEST 2014

New information on my problem.  I went to the GambasWIKI site and
followed these three instructions under the "Gambas3 Stable" header
(which is how I installed it the first time):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/gambas3

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gambas3

What I have now when I open Gambas is and get system info is:

[System]
Gambas=3.5.3
OperatingSystem=Linux
Kernel=3.5.0-48-generic
Architecture=x86
Distribution=Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
Desktop=GNOME
Theme=QGtk
Language=en_US.UTF-8
Memory=2017M
[Libraries]
Cairo=libcairo.so.2.11000.2
Curl=libcurl.so.4.2.0
DBus=libdbus-1.so.3.5.8
GStreamer=libgstreamer-0.10.so.0.30.0
GStreamer=libgstreamer-1.0.so.0.1.0
GTK+=libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.10
OpenGL=libGL.so.1.2.0
Poppler=libpoppler.so.19.0.0
Qt4=libQtCore.so.4.8.1
SDL=libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3

NOTE that Gambas 3.5.2 has been replaced by Gambas 3.5.3 (the only change).

When I issued the first install instruction, I get results I was not
anticipating.  They were as follows:

bill at ...3318...:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/gambas3
[sudo] password for bill:
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
  This PPA contain the stable version of Gambas 3.
  More info: https://launchpad.net/~nemh/+archive/gambas3
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 551, in __bootstrap_inner
     self.run()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py",
line 99, in run
     self.add_ppa_signing_key(self.ppa_path)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py",
line 132, in add_ppa_signing_key
     tmp_keyring_dir = tempfile.mkdtemp()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/tempfile.py", line 322, in mkdtemp
     name = names.next()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/tempfile.py", line 141, in next
     letters = [choose(c) for dummy in "123456"]
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/random.py", line 274, in choice
     return seq[int(self.random() * len(seq))]  # raises IndexError if
seq is empty
ValueError: cannot convert float NaN to integer

This indicates that something is wrong with an installation script
somewhere doesn't it?  Shouldn't that be fixed?

When I executed the "Install" command, I asked me if I wanted to install
"unverified" packages.  I answered "Y". and it installed.

Now, when I run the Update Manager it says I have no updates to
install.  So, I guess my "problem" is solved for the time being. Will
this happen the next time updates are up for Gambas?

Bill