[Gambas-user] Exist function for checking files seems slower

Sun Apr 13 07:03:47 CEST 2014

Previous to installing the PPA daily build earlier this evening the loop:

   Dim Counter1 As Short     ' General Counter.

   For Counter1 = 0 To 32766
     If Exist(BasePath & "/image/pwo/" & Counter1 & "_0.png") Then
       ' Load the texture.
       ' Code commented out for brevity.
     Endif
   Next

executed fairly quickly. I tested the bare loop by removing any code
executedif Exist returned True, and the loop is slower than it used to
be when actually loading textures. Unless the underlying packages in
[K]ubuntu (13.10) or my network are causing the problem (the file checks
are performed over an NFS share on my file server), there is a massive
increase in the overhead of the Exist function with respect to files on
a network share.

The empty loop over NFS takes 43 seconds. Performed locally on my
workstation's SSD it takes 0.04 seconds.

Were any changes made to Gambas that could have caused this, or should I
start investigating my file server and/or network's performance? Copying
a file from my server to my workstation transfers at 120 MiB/s, which is
extremely fast. The Exist function checks transfer at 500 KiB/s. So it's
either Gambas or some package update in Ubuntu, I'm guessing.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues