[Gambas-user] Proposal for DateChooser.Data.Text

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun Sep 1 17:36:59 CEST 2013

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013, Beno?t Minisini wrote:
> Le 01/09/2013 15:48, Tobias Boege a ?crit :
> > Hi Benoit,
> >
> > the DateChooser.Data.Text property is currently unused. I don't know what
> > plans you have for it or how difficult it would be to realise my idea but
> > I thought it would be nice if a tooltip balloon containing the text would
> > be displayed when the mouse hovers the specific date.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >

> I will see what I can do. :-)
>
> In exchange, can you:
>
> - Tell me if gb.data can be marked as "stable" ? It does not mean that
> everything is finished, but at least the already implemented classes.

There are some TODOs but the interface as it is currently is not likely to
be changed (just extended a little bit).

> - Tell me what the state of gb.openssl is. Is its public interface
> definitive? (It seems a bit complex for me). Can it be marked as "stable" ?

I thought it would be polite to have it in the wild for the lifetime of one
minor version before marking it "stable" but there were no issues[*] and the
interface won't change. IMO it is a very comfortable interface (at least for
me as the developer): You select an algorithm via its name and use it like a
function:

	Print Digest["sha256"]("abc")
	Print Cipher["blowfish"].EncryptSalted("abc", "password")

The good thing is that this maintains itself. It uses an interface of
OpenSSL's Crypto library to search an algorithm by its name, so new
algorithms will be available as soon as users use the new library which
contains that algorithm.

I'll do the state changes myself in a second.

Before I forget: What are the proper state identifiers? I mean I used
"Unstable", "Unfinished", "Stable" in my components but I have seen Fabien
using "2" in gb.map (may be something the IDE writes to .component) and
"Experimental", "NotFinished" and "Finished" in others... (IIRC, some
component also had "Alpha"). Can you please clear this up for me?

Regards,
Tobi

[*] I also haven't heard of anybody using it :-)

PS: I'm currently working on a Trie class in gb.data and I also want to
    bring in some variant of a B-Tree which uses hashing to have a really
    efficient search tree (AvlTree does not use hashing to maintain
    lexicographical order in the keys). Could you wait for me (and my
    two weeks holidays from tomorrow on) before releasing Gambas 3.5? Or is
    it urgent? I may likely need (at least!) one or two weeks for both
    classes to be committed. And Oct 1st my first semester begins... :-)