[Gambas-user] Gambas self-extracting installer (4)

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Oct 27 13:27:34 CET 2013

Hi,

I tested and found that using an embedded web application is as
difficult as using a normal installer, so... let's back to an installer
based on gb.qt4!

But I don't think it's a good idea to ask for the root or sudo password
to installed Gambas package, for security reasons (can you really trust
that self-extracting installer?)

Instead, I think I will just tell the user which packages he must
install himself before being able to complete the installation.

Moreover, I will try to provide the installed program with all needed
Gambas components inside. So, provided that the dependencies of these
components are already installed, nothing will need to be installed.

In other words, the idea is the following:

1) The self-extracting installer has all Gambas components needed by the
project inside.

2) He will try to load each component one by one.

3) As soon as one fails, it usually means that a package is missing.

4) Tells the user which packages he must install.

5) Or just go on and install the program.

If the user decide to install the Gambas components from the binary
packages later, maybe I should use them instead of the embedded ones. Or
maybe I shouldn't? Or maybe this decision is up to the package creator?

For security reasons, maybe this packager should be able to install the
program locally only. For global programs, a normal binary package must
be made.

What do you think? Should that packager install the program globally if
run by root (for example)?

Waiting for your remarks... :-)

--
Benoît Minisini