[Gambas-user] "wrapping" function based on recent Mod thread

Fri Oct 11 14:20:26 CEST 2013

My brains jammed to think about that wrap function, and I think if you want
function that wraps screen like in old video
games, then is that C implementation really correct?

They say that Wrap(-1, 1, 4) should return 3, but if you have traveled two
steps over border of the screen (1 -> 0, 0 -> -1),
then you should come up two steps from other border (4 -> 3, 3 -> 2).
So Wrap(-1,
1, 4) should be 2.

C implementation is only for integers, but if you also need to use floats
then,
Wrap(0.5, 1, 4) should be 3.5, and Wrap(4.5, 1, 4) should be 1.5.

Because if Wrap(0, 1, 4) = 4, then what would be Wrap(0.5, 1, 4) and Wrap(-0.5,
1, 4)?
They cannot both be 3.5!!

C implementation connects borders with one step between them, my
implementation connects the borders
with zero steps. So that Wrap(0.999, 1, 4) = 3.999, Wrap(4.001, 1, 4) =
1.001, Wrap(1,1,4) = 1 and Wrap(4,1,4)=4.

So I think this gives correct answers:

Private Function MyWrap(fX As Float, fLowerBound As Float, fUpperBound As
Float) As Float

  Dim fRange As Float = fUpperBound - fLowerBound

  If fX < fLowerBound Then
  Return fUpperBound - Abs(fmod((fX - fLowerBound), fRange))
  Else If fX > fUpperBound Then
  Return fmod(fX - fLowerBound, fRange) + fLowerBound
  Else
  Return fX
  Endif

End

It needs declaration of fmod:
Private Extern fmod(fNumber As Float, fDenom As Float) As Float In "libm:6"

Jussi