[Gambas-user] Where are the examples in gambas 3.5.1?

Carl Nilsson nilsson at ...1979...
Sat Nov 30 23:40:12 CET 2013

G'day Matti:
Now I'm getting confused again!   Is not the repository you refer to
a repository only for the opemSUSE?  I have assumed my openSUSE 12.2
is working fine, but it is the gambas install that gives me
problems.  The openSUSE 12.2 I actually have comes from a
store-boughten DVD set put out by (I think) UnixAcademy.com.  Seems
to go on just fine.  I use the KDE gui. Reason I'm trying to stick
with it is that I bought some moderately expensive books on SUSE
Linux for those long winter nights (that have just
passed).  Yesterday i removed the troublesome gambas 3.5 install and
tried again, but munix9 is the only repo that I know that gives me
something approaching a "one-line" install.  Once again, I had
trouble with four packages (including the examples) with missing
dependencies.   I couldn't initially install gambas-gb-v4l because of
missing -tools and needing tv-common; examples needed libmlib2.so.1
etc.  However, I played around with trying to install those packages
one by one and finally they did install with no complaints about
dependencies.   Now all the packages are installed (white ticks on a
black background for all of them) at the gambas 3.5.1 -2.5 level
except for gb-gui, gb-maps and script which are at the 3.4.1-2.29
level.  I don't know if that is a problem?
The fact that I got gambas 3.5 (whether I wanted it or not) from
munix9 suggests that somebody is working and trying to keep it up to date.
Now my examples show in gambas 3.5.1, but I still have problems.

When I start gambas 3.5.1 I get my "tip of the day" and "recent
projects".  If I go to examples, like "dragNdrop", the project opens
and I get a "project is read only" notice.  Fair enough! I just get a
mottled grey screen on the right.  Under the project "sources", if I
left click "FDragNdrop", nothing happens (I need to refresh my memory
on these operations with gambas).  If I right click it, I immediately
get a fatal error, namely:  [2] cannot load class "_Gui':
FMain.tvwProject_Menu.257 - and automatically exit from gambas.  All
the examples I have tried act similarly.

Now, I can't help wondering if this error is related to the fact that
gb-gui is installed at the 3.4 level, whereas most of gambas is
installed at 3.5 level?  So far as I'm aware (not very far!), munix9
did not give me the option of installing at the 3.4 level.   It's
possible that this gambas install can be retrieved quite simply by
installing a different package - I don't know and I await advice.

I recall that (as I said in my post last September 2012) I did get an
earlier gambas3 successfully installed under a real installation of
SUSE 10 on an older machine, so one way or another, I should be able
to get it going under SUSE 12.2.  My (real paper) reference books are
all about SUSE 10 and 11, but I expect are still reasonably good for
SUSE 12.  They are my real monetary investment that I'm trying to
save.   In addition, although I'm struggling, this is a learning
process about real-world Linux - but not getting me far into gambas,
which is where i really want to spend my time.  I appreciate any
assist you can provide at this stage.

In the meantime, I have downloaded Mint 13 "Maya"  and will try
installing that tonight under VMPlayer.  I saw and downloaded Willy
Raets ebook "how to Gambas" which gives an installing path for that
version of Linux - which might produce an interesting comparison for me.

Thank you for your continued interest.
Carl