[Gambas-user] article on Gambas...

ukimiku mkuyumcu at ...3233...
Tue Nov 26 23:35:57 CET 2013

Oh, if it had been online I would have already bought it :) While I
acknowledge the value of the most recent, up-to-date coverage of a
programming language, I really learn a lot from books. Also, I tend to take
my laptop with me when I go on vacation, and sometimes I end up in places
that have no reliable internet connection, which makes me appreciate books
even more. My favourite example of a great programming book is "REALbasic -
The Definitive Guide", published by O'Reilly, written my Matt Neuberg. It is
funny (!!), comprehensive, factually correct, full of condensed, working
practical examples, features a full explanation of easy to advanced
object-oriented paradigms -  and is just simply the best programming book I
have ever bought. But no 3rd edition was ever published, because O'Reilly
allegedly felt the demand for a book on "BASIC" programming dwindle (there
it is again, the BASIC threat).

I have already had a look at your online buch project. It looks really nice,
and I have already learnt some peculiarities of Gambas from it. Furthermore,
I think that you must have quite a nice computer science teacher.

Like you, I like to test the workings of a programming language and then
write documentation; when I was learning DECIMAL BASIC (with fantastic
support for mathematical image transformations and even a stand-alone
compiler, available also for Linux), there was hardly any German
documentation to come by, and for my computer science students (mostly 5th
to 9th graders) I summarized key aspects of the language along with examples
in my own series of documentation leaflets.

Anyhow, today we have print on demand, or you can let people pay for
downloads of, say, pdf documents, or create a kind of subscription-based
model for new revisions of your documentation. I think what you are doing is
worth something, and I find the material that you present clearly written.
All the happier I am, of course, that you make available so much of your
work for free :)

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
ukimiku

-----
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. Because, when you criticize then, and he gets angry, you'll be a mile away - and have his shoes.