[Gambas-user] A little article on Gambas on Phoronix

ISS Boss iss_boss at ...770...
Tue Nov 26 20:40:59 CET 2013

   Very well put, Randall.  I also learned my programming skills back in 1962
   when I entered the programming shop of the US Navy.  I spent 20 years there
   using some pretty esoteric languages but BASIC was still used in my home
   right  at  first.  It was BASIC that Heathkit provided for their first
   computer kits (H8 and H89) which I built several of.  In the navy, I was
   exposed to NELIAC, which was a language used solely in the Naval Security
   Group of which I was a member.
   In my case, FORTRAN replaced NELIAC when they went to VAX machines for the
   replacement computers in the HFDF network.  I also went to many classes for
   other languages: ADA, FORTH, and, yes, C.  Over the years following my
   retirement in 1980 I ended up using C again on a platform of iRMX (an Intel
   operating system which I love) along with PLM.
   When the very first version of VB came out, I bought it and immediately
   began writing programs for sale.  I did quite well with it and kept up with
   the newer version as they climbed from 1.0 through 6.0SP2.  Now, I use
   VB.NET also when I'm not running my UBUNTU machine.  On that, I finally fell
   into the Gambas network and am having a ball honing my BASIC skills yet
   again.
   As for mission critical applications, I doubt that I'd use Gambas, but for
   friends of mine that have moved to LINUX, I provide them with free apps that
   they help debug for me.  It's a win/win situation.
   And now, back into my cave.
   Bill