[Gambas-user] Pre-release of Gambas 3.5.1

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Fri Nov 15 15:28:55 CET 2013

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> From: Willy Raets <willy at ...2734...>
> > it will run for at least 5 years in the production environment it is
> > being used. Why change what works just fine? Just because there is some
> > new fancy stuff out there?
> i 'm running a payroll system in debian lenny, 24/7 at 365 days and
> ther's no reason to "upgrade" to winbuntu 10000 or debian "unstable"
> due are the "lasted"
> u have right men! that's stupid! why changes if works perfectly!!!
>
> > @ Beno?t:
> > Fact that gb.media will not run an a Ubuntu 12.04 is another of my
> > concerns. In production and personal environment I always stick to the
> > latest stable release (being 12.04 in buntu with a 5 year support cycle)
> > and this advise I also give to friends that I got onto linux.
> This was cuase ddue benoit use "too moderm up-to-date ultimate release
> version" of gstreamer
> i'm tyred of the software always constant in "upgrades upgrades upgrades"
>
> of course, developer do not note that:
> constant movement for support constant globalization! more upgrades
> raises more requerimients so then more power to need so intel and amd
> sell more and more

Yeah... Let's don't get political here.

(I don't want to sound like a sophist but I have to note this:)
English is not my native language but at least the normally used German word
for "development" means something around progress, kind of evolution. If you
don't want new packages to be used, then you effectively say that Gambas
should not be developed anymore by software developers but just maintained
by some bookkeeper. Then you will soon find people leaving the project. It
would just not be interesting anymore. (Well, at least then, Gambas would be
truly stable.)

> > Why does Gambas need to depend on stuff that doesn't run on the latest
> > stable releases that are just 1 1/2 year out there and will be used for
> > several years to come.
> > Do we really need these hight dependencies when they only run on the
> > latest unstable releases (releases I only run the in VMs for testing
> > purposes and would never consider using in a production environment).??
> >
> Another case are that the typically response "upgrade to lasted, its
> fixed there"
> so then stable releases are not fixed?

Let's suppose we have a bug. What should we do about it? The normal
procedure is to fix it and then release a newer version. A newer
version is p.d. a more advanced state of the project. You can't have
a newer version of the project (with the bug fix) and at the same time
decry newer versions!

Of course I see that you mean two different things when you say "new" on the
one hand and "new" on the other hand but you should make it clear to not get
misunderstood.

Maybe what you want is something like this: have someone maintain an old
stable release of Gambas and just patch in bug fixes (like the Linux kernel
does) to these releases. You can even have someone to only patch in bug
fixes and interpreter enhancements and leaving alone gb.media at
gstreamer-0.10. Why not?

I tell you why not: you need people who volunteer (or someone who volunteers
to hire someone ;-)) and there currently is nobody to do it. Will you?

Regards,
Tobi

PS: I'm away over the weekend. I realise that I presented my views in a
rather destructive manner and as if they were facts - on purpose. If this
thread becomes a flame war about software development philosophies, sophists
and globalisation I just want to say: he started it :-) And in case it
matters: I use vim, not emacs ;-)