[Gambas-user] Gambas Future or what kind of Gambas we want.

Fri Nov 1 17:42:23 CET 2013

On 11/01/2013 12:19 PM, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> well, theres some point that end in a double-edged sword
>
> there's sense to ported to BSD, maebo, firefox-os,but if we make
> software for non-free
> systems, i see that most free projects in net the binaries for OSX or
> Guindows are more
> downloaded rather than the binaries for FOSS like linux, maebo, BSD,
> etc etc, so then this its
> a double-edged sword
>
> those that makes free software for non-free systems are hipocrit due
> made more relatiable these non-free systems
>
> think about it: oh i have gambas for guindows, so why installing
> complete os linux? nahhh
> then install "w2008R2 super dupper edition ultimate corporate with all stuff"
> and that's all .. no funny mens

While that's true, it depends on your perspective, or, your intentions
as a GAMBAS developer. Most developers, especially in the open source
world, just want their application to be the best possible and to be
accessible to and used by the most people possible. People like RMS on
the other hand allow philosophy and politics to affect the landscape,
sometimes to their own detriment. If you get too "religious" about a
project you can end up shooting yourself in the face by accident.

Most users aren't technically savvy enough to migrate their OS to Linux
or set up a dual-boot scenario. They don't understand or care about the
open source philosophy, and while it's important to me, I don't think it
NEEDS to be important to other people. Everyone uses computers now;
kids, grandmas, police, firemen, lumberjacks, whatever. I don't think
they all need to be worried about changing OS's because a handful of
programs they want to use only work on Linux.

Linux will have its day on the desktop; it will have it's appropriate
market share (33% to be fair at this point), but I don't think it will
be from application platform exclusivity.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues