[Gambas-user] The problem with gb.gui, gb.gui.opengl, and gb.desktop.gnome (2)

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Fri Nov 1 02:48:09 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 11:41 +1030, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 01:44 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In revision #5924, the IDE generates meta-packages for QT4 and GTK+
> > support when a project uses the gb.gui component. There is no dependency
> > on the non-existing gb.gui package anymore. Same thing for gb.gui.opengl.
> >
> > So, if the 'foo' project uses gb.gui, the packager will generate the
> > three following packages:
> > - 'foo', the full project will all its dependencies.
> > - 'foo-qt4', a void package that depends on 'foo' and 'gb.qt4'.
> > - 'foo-gtk', a void package that depends on 'foo' and 'gb.gtk'.
> >
> > If 'foo' uses gb.gui.opengl, the corresponding opengl dependencies will
> > be added to the 'foo-qt4' and 'foo-gtk' packages.
> >
> > At the moment, only Debian/Ubuntu has been implemented.
> >
> > Can you test it and tell me if it works for you?
> >
> > I will add the conditional dependency foo-gtk | foo-qt4, but I want to
> > check if it possible with RPM, Arch, and Slackware packages first.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > P.S. I admire you and others making binary packages. Playing with debian
> > packaging is like programming the Win32 API with the brainfuck language
> > for me. It took me more than four hours to make these two metapackages
> > without getting a cryptic error.
> >

> (Purely theoretical given this is all a bit too hard for me)
>
> a) where is gb.image going to live?
> b) if 'foo' uses one of the UI's directly then I presume you would only
> get (say) foo-gtk. Does that render the entire package unusable on a KDE
> environment?
> c) BTW I'll check again, but I seem to recall that the keyring is still
> there in gtk 3....

Another thing just popped into my head.

If 'foo' uses gb.qt4.webkit then even if it is explicitly using gb.gui
then the gb.gtk component is redundant as the app will always start with
gb.qt4 active.

I attached a pic to show what I mean.

So how far does/will the packager go to resolve that only gb.qt4 is
required?

(btw: I wish there was a gb.gtk.webkit!)

--
Bruce <bbruen at ...2308...>
Paddys-Hill dot net