[Gambas-user] Global error management routine

Richard Terry rterry at ...1823...
Wed May 22 00:04:17 CEST 2013

Tobias Boege wrote:
> Hi Benoit,
>
> when programming a component in C/C++, one can use the error hook to execute
> a function when the interpreter is about to abort because of an error.
>
> In Gambas itself, we only have the local Catch blocks to execute code in
> case of error in this or any context above in the stack.
>
> However, there is no global error handling routine like the above error hook
> available for Gambas programs. It would be handy if the program ultimately
> has to tidy up some of its business before it is killed.

I'd second that, though I'm technically incapable of
helping/understanding. Short of putting a catch statement in every
single subroutine there seems no way in gambas to stop a program
crashing when it enounters an unexpected error, which if you have others
using the program for some mission-critical purpose this is nothing
short of embarrassing/dangerous/annoying to the users.

Though I use the latest packages for gambas3 I find the IDE crashes out
unexpectedly enough (e.g several times in a few hour session) for me to
have got into the habit of clicking the save button every few minutes as
in recent times I've lost e.g 30 mins of code due to the ide suddenly
'disappearing'.

Regards

richard